Monday, July 13, 2009

Fourth of July 09 Beach Trip #2


Sunday at the Ocean Isle Beach: everyone headed for the beach. I am somewhat of a beach aphobic. I really like it I just don’t like the sun and sand and wind and suntan goo. I used to like Ocean Isle’s beach OK cause we’d put up a gazebo on the beach we could leave up all week, and it was great to sit under. But a couple of years ago, the Ocean Isle folks got the idea that the gazebos were interfering with the breeding habits of the sea turtles. Now I’m as environmentally friendly as the next guy, but I was a little put off by the whole “no gazebos” thing (as were some other folks I know who quit coming to Ocean Isle because of it). In my sometimes-cynical view of life, I figured it was probably cause the local government wanted to either run or franchise some kind of beach umbrella rental business, and needed a monopoly. My daughter knew of my beach issues, so compromised by getting me the mother of all beach umbrellas for Father’s Day.

With the whole family happily “down at the beach” I hung around doing some kitchen snack prep work like peeling and cutting up 5# of carrots, making dip, marinating meat, etc. (subconsciously anything to avoid the beach). Finally I decided to brave it, and greased up to make the journey. Just as I got to our spot on the beach and landed in my chair under my new umbrella, it started to rain. I apologized to everyone for bringing the rain, and we packed up for the return to the house.

Dinner that evening was fajitas both of the beef and chicken variety. Previously on Saturday night we had baby back ribs and rotisserie chicken that had been started at home then finished upon arrival. Also great corn on the cob hand imported from the farmlands of York PA by Em’s mom and dad. Both nights’ chicken carcasses made their way to a large pot and were cooked down with various condiments to become stock for later usage. Everyone has been pitching in with the kitchen duties, and it is sort of a “fun for all”. As with most big family gatherings, after dinner each night we settled down for a nice quiet session of Guitar Hero World Tour on the Playstation at 125 db. Life is good.

Monday morning, Miss Vickie disappeared to her favorite beach pass time of wandering, and I got some of the young folks together, and said, “let’s go see about getting the boat in the water.” It ended up being Jon, Aylea, Wes IV, Greta, and me as captain. This was Greta’s first boat ride, and so we made sure that she was properly outfitted with her lifejacket, sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses. We rounded up everything and headed for the free boat ramp that lives under the Ocean Isle Beach high-level bridge. It’s a real steep ramp, and puts you right into the Inter Costal Waterway. We got the boat launched uneventfully, and headed down the ICW to see what we could see. Heading South (which is actually West because of this islands peculiar orientation) we came to the famous Sunset Beach swinging bridge (as in swings open), which is soon to be replaced with a high level bridge, much to everyone’s aesthetic chagrin. The posted schedule said the bridge only opened on the hour, and being it was 10:30 we elected to head the other direction.

Heading North (which again here is actually East) we passed our launch point, and then on to the mouth of the Shallotte River. We looked around there, and continued up Waterway till we reached the harbor and high level bridge to Holden beach. Along the way we passed the opening between Holden Beach and Ocean Isle Beach where you could make a turn and head out to the Atlantic Ocean. Also in that general area we found a great stretch of beach where we could bring folks with the boat and hang out. Greta was a natural at the boat riding, and had a great time. She comes by her love of motorized conveyances honest, as my family has the gene that causes us to have some amount of gasoline in our veins, starting with my mother, then me (which you already know), and carrying through to both of my kids (and apparently my granddaughter). We returned to our launch point, and successfully trailered the boat for the return to the house, planning a future trip to our beach find. We discovered at home that we gave the boat its first contact with the dock, due to some telltale yellow plastic stuck in a couple of the screws on the bumper strip of the boat. Oh well, it wouldn’t be my boat if it was completely pristine.

That night we had a modified clambake (fresh shrimp, some of the most buttery clams I have ever had) along with crab cakes and some more of the wonderful York corn. This evening we settled down for some lively board games and conversation.
More later,
Wes

No comments: